Application Deadline: January 7
How to Apply?
To apply online, go to the UI Graduate and Professional Admissions website.
The application has two parts. After you submit your initial application and pay the application fee, you will receive email instructions on how to establish your HawkID and password in order to access your Admissions Profile on MyUI, our online portal for students, to complete the rest of your application. All supporting materials can and should be uploaded through your Admissions Profile. You will be asked to provide the contact information of your recommenders on your Profile. The recommender will then receive an email from the Office of Admissions instructing them on how to upload a recommendation letter.
Requirements for Admission
Applicants for admission to the graduate program must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College as well as department offering the degree program. See the Manual of Rules and Regulations of the Graduate College on the Graduate College website for additional information.
All applicants must submit:
- academic transcripts,
- letters of recommendation from three persons familiar with their past academic work, and
- a statement of purpose
- one or more samples of original writing that show their ability to pursue graduate work in Political Science (an honors thesis, term paper, seminar paper, or other course papers) is highly recommended.
- International students must also submit TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo scores according to the English Proficiency Requirements of the Graduate College.
- GRE scores are NOT required. If you wish for your GRE scores to be considered, you may include them. The University of Iowa's school code is 6681.
- An undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.3 on a four point scale (or its equivalent for foreign applicants) is required. For applicants who have done graduate work elsewhere, we require a graduate grade point average of at least 3.5.